Joscail's Blog

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Marriage

Yea, so I've noticed there has been a rise in the amount of shit I've been hearing about marriages. It must be the time of year...I don't see the point. Why do you need a piece of jewelery & rediculously expensive ceremony to prove your love for another person, unless of course there is other motives to getting married, like money that may be coming your way. But lets not get into gold-diggin shall we. Marriage, & all that religious crap that came with it is old fashion. Remaining with one person for the rest of your life may have helped prevent sexual -transmitted diseases/infections from spreading too much, but we have such things as protection & modern medicine that can deal with those things. & lets face it, nothing stays new forever; you want a companion that will always be happy to see you, not matter how long you've been together, buy a dog! I'm sure you'll find a cute puppy at your local pound or pet shop, maybe even from someone in your nieghbourhood who's dog just had puppies. But we are humans, we get bored with things after a while. Ever purchased something, like a new outfit or a mobile phone & thought you could want for nothing better, just to see the next line of fashion/technology come out & instantly turn your "perfect" buy into yesturdays news? You'd have to be very unique to say that everything you've bought has never gone out of fashion with your tastes. It's in our nature to develop, so why do people still see marriage as such an important thing? If you're living with someone long enough you become their defacto partner & get all the marriage benfits anyway. Although who am I to question god? Who am I to question the way religion should dictate peoples lives? Who am I to say that needing "official" pieces of paper & a ring to prove your love for someone is old fashion? In my opinion, you don't need a ring, you don't need a piece of paper, you don't need a priest, you just need each other. & I don't believe in "there's someone out there for everyone", because we wouldn't understand the concept of "single" or "bachelor(ette)" if there was someone waiting out there for you. I suppose that hardens my doubts about marriage, as marriage is strongly centred around the whole "she/he is the right one for me, I just know it". The Pagan's got it right though, Handfasting is far more practical, it's a joining of two people for a year & a day, after that you can either "seperate" or choose to undergo the ceremony again. A ceremony centred around the ideals of nature, not money & class. In saying all that I am a strong believer in "everyone to their own", I understand marriage must work for many people, it wouldn't be so popular otherwise, what I don't understand is those who have had several marriages but swear that he/she is the right one this time. Learn from your mistakes! Unless it's for money of course...That would be the only reason I'd rush off & get married, it's not worth it otherwise, your life can be just a fullfilling without marriage. Well, it's 4am & I'm ranting about marriage! Charming.
~JOS~

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home