Joscail's Blog

Monday, September 05, 2005

The Boondock Saints

Okay, so this is LONG overdue, but anyway. Troy Duffy is widely believed to be an arsehole, but has still been diefied in the minds of many. This is because of his indy film The Boondock Saints.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The movie is not nearly as known as it should be, black listed because of the Columbine shootings it didn't make it to the cinema. I've yet to meet a person who has watched the movie & doesn't like it, unfortunately I've meet many people who haven't seen it. The plot outline goes as follows:

"Irish brothers Connor & Murphy McManus live and work in Boston. Feeling that God's will to rid Earth from all human Evil was given to them as a mission, they set out to do their divine deed. A public outcry is never heard, and even FBI agent Paul Smecker, who follows their trace of bloodshed, admits that the boys are doing exactly what he secretly always has wished to happen. Risking their lives for their beliefs of Veritas (truth) and Aequitas (justice), the Boondock Saints are hyped by the public, for they are doing good, which only few dare to admit."

Starring: Willem Dafoe, Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flanery & Billy Connolly.

I'm as far from the church as anyone can get, I don't just not believe in that religion I dislike it. But this movie isn't some big hidden message of belief in god, it's just pure entertainment for a couple of hours, not to mention the purve on a couple of hot male actors.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Left: Sean Patrick Flanery as Connor MacManus
Right: Norman Reedus as Murphy MacManus

This is a great movie & I reccomend it to anyone interested in watching a good film. I thank my friend Iia for introducing me to this movie, which had been sitting in my father's movie collection for years. After I got the DVD I was disappointed to discover that yes there was deleted scenes & that no the Australian released DVD did not have them. No, actually I wasn't disappointed, I was pissed off. So I bought myself an American copy off Ebay, & finally got my DVD player set on region "0" so I could watch DVD from any country. I was so glad when I got the American copy, because the deleted scenes were hell funny & I was cracking up laughing at the outtakes.

When I heard that Troy Duffy was making a sequal I was exstatic. It's, so far, going to be called All Saints Day. Duffy is hopefully going to get The Boondock Saints released at cinemas before All Saints Day is released. I do hope this happens as there would be nothing better then to see the movie on the big screen (maybe not the tit bit, but at least it was funny). Currently though Duffy is involved in a lawsuit, I have no idea of any of the details, other then it is postponing the production & filming of All Saints Day (damnit!) The second movie will bring back the two much loved main characters, but (to the dismay of many fans) Willem Dafoe will not be returning to the character of Paul Smecker. Even David Della Rocco is promised to be back, I never took The Boondock Saints to have comic book style back-from-the-dead appearances, so maybe we're in for a little history in the form of flashbacks or something to that affect. Instead of Smecker there will be Eunice Bloom played by Marley Shelton, many people (including myself) believe that a romance would ruin the movie & hope that Troy Duffy doesn't make Eunice Bloom a love interest to either of the brothers. The plot outline for All Saints Day has the brothers back in Ireland to open the movie, but after the murder of a Boston pastor in the style of The Saints they must go back to America. I personally cannot wait for the second film & hope the legal issue clear off soon.

I think that this movie is one of the most quote-worthy films in exsistence, I love everything they say, but my favourite quote would have to be "Don't cross the road if you can't get out the kitchen" said by Murphy in Doc's bar.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

~JOS~

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home